Wednesday, April 21, 2010

The wonderful world of wireless

So our dorms just recently went completely wireless...about a week after I bought a new ethernet cable...oh well. But I think up until now I've been looking at this the wrong way. Of course it is great that I can write an essay on my bed and watch a movie somewhere else and not have to worry about the cord stretching, but I recently found a flaw. You can't really turn it off. When I sit down to write a paper, I like to disconnect my computer from the internet to entirely rid myself of the possibility of procrastinating any longer once I actually sit down to write the paper. But now, with snazzy wireless, my computer is constantly hooked up to the internet...and I'm not sure my will power is strong enough to deal with it. It is of course nice to be able to pop onto the internet to check a source or something, but once on the internet an entire world of distraction is open to me. This is not good, seeing as I generally wait until the last minute to write a paper and don't have any time to play around after I actually start writing my paper. Now I must work on my will power which is pretty week when it comes to things that don't really have consequences...or rather only have minimal consequences that don't make a difference in my life. Sure I loose ten minutes of sleep, but I don't think about that when procrastinating...an art I had perfected before the internet became so readily available. Oh the problems technology create for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment