Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Tradition

Earlier in my blog I spoke about traditions being a big deal on campus. I thought that I'd write a little bit more about it considering my favorite tradition is coming up. May Day is a big deal here. I should really say our May Day, as it doesn't always fall on the May Day, May 1st, but around it (the first Sunday of May). This time honored tradition brings me back to what I think BM was like in its earlier years. We take one day out of the year to celebrate being together, and of course, the arrival of summer. Oddly we celebrate summer's arrival the day before finals start, but I think that is important. May Day gives students an excuse to push their books aside for a day and spend it outside with their friends just relaxing. We have a day full of sunshine (hopefully), good food, music, and traditions. Each year the festivities are started off with a breakfast of strawberries and cream (my favorite), followed by a parade, the May Pole dance, the May Hole dance, and other festivities in the afternoon. The day is concluded with a screening of The Philadelphia Story...appropriate for many reasons, one being that Katherine Hepburn attended BM for a while. Each year there is a different theme, making each May Day its own. And I almost forgot the most time honored part of May Day...you must ware an white dress! I can only imagine what it must look like, 1500 girls in white dresses (a bit suggestive no?) frolicking in the sun, picnicking, rolling hoops down senior row (yes...exactly like in Mona Lisa Smile). As an outsider it must seem very odd, but as an insider it is what gets us through the last few weeks of school before the summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment