Friday, April 30, 2010

Libraries

We have three on campus...but that is not what this post is about. It is about my dislike for them. In theory I should love them, they are like massive book stores where everything is free (and I love bookstores). But in reality they creep me out. For one thing, I can't handle the complete and total silence. I like things to be quite, but silent is too much....it gives me an uncomfortable feeling, sounds let me know that there is another person nearby. In silence, I am completely alone. The other thing I don't really like about libraries is their whole system of shelving. Why can't everything be shelved alphabetically like in the bookstore? It would be so much easier to find. Even when I know the code for the book and have it right in front of me, it takes me a while to actually seek out the book. Maybe that's just me, but I find it very tedious and confusing (I do however like that books on the same subject are in the same place...it helps when the book I need for research is either checked out or in another language. Also, the stacks that move when you push a button (meant to save space) always seem like they belong in some horror movie (actually all stacks seem like they should be in a horror movie). Why are libraries they way they are? Bookstores are so inviting with all their light and comfy chairs, and easy to find books and libraries are just so cold, quiet, and uninviting. I wish I liked them, but I just don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment