Thursday, April 22, 2010

Sustenance

One of the many things that colleges are rated on is their food. It is something of common knowledge that college food isn't the best...it's mass produced by students, why would it be good? Yet we eat it day in and day out. As it turns out, BM has 'great' college food. The Princeton Review rates us at number 5...lucky us. And yet I still find myself eating the same old thing every day: a bagel with cream cheese for breakfast, nothing for lunch, and a peanut butter, honey, and banana sandwich for dinner. I of course add in the occasional cereal, the fruit that kind of looks good but really isn't, and every once in a while I will actually make myself a stir-fry (although the dinning hall seems to think that olive oil is what one uses for stir-fry instead of peanut-oil). What do people do at schools that don't have 'good' food? I suppose we have a good selection, as selection goes, but the selection is the same every night. You can only eat so much mac-and-cheese and pizza, and french fries really do get old. So then I turn to the salad bar, which doesn't change from night to night, so you have a good salad for two nights and then it gets old really fast. Why can't schools make the food they feed us good? We are paying good money for it. I feel that it must be possible, but maybe I'm just an optimist. At least my dining hall is rated. I can't imagine what they serve elsewhere.

1 comment:

  1. I can imagine and have experienced not so "good". Let me tell you a little bit about it. First, it is sprayed with cornstarch to it will appear fresh. Then, it sits on a hot water bath so long that when you dip in a spoon to serve it, the whole thing comes up like cold congealed oatmeal. Finally, you would find that most of the choices are loaded with salt and sugar and are not even close to organic. Institutional food does take creativity to stay interesting, but at least you seem to have healthy, well prepared choices...even if the variety of cuisine is lacking.

    ReplyDelete