Monday, April 26, 2010

Heat please

Anyone who has ever been to our campus can tell that our dorms are old. Usually this is what I love about them...the hardwood floors, the fireplaces in the rooms, the stone buildings all create for a wonderful living place. My only real complaint is the heating. When one first arrives to move in, the day is generally a hot one. While carrying boxes up the stairs the absence of air conditioning is very apparent. The absence of overhead fans in apparent. Basically it is sweltering. My first purchase for my dorm room was a fan. So we can establish that when it is hot outside it is sweltering inside. Now, when the weather outside turns colder, there is generally a week where it is freezing inside. This is the week before they turn on the boilers in the winter. Eventually the boilers are on, but sadly this is not a good thing. The boilers have one control: on or off. There is no varying temperatures by floor, and certainly not by room. So what this means is that the for most of the winter a window is cracked to alleviate the boiling heat coming from the basement. Once again, it is hot. Then the boiler gets turned off after spring break. Generally there is about a week where the weather is still cold, but we have no heat. I have to say that this year the heat could have stayed on longer. As we have been waiting for the weather outside to get warmer we are also waiting for our rooms to be warmer. With no heat on at night, the rooms are freezing. I have found the unfindable: the one time when the dorms or too cold. Amazing! I never would have guessed...their trend, if it has not been noticed is to the hotter side. But now all I want is a bit of heat for my toes. I know the second they turn that boiler on though, the rooms will be too hot, the weather outside will warm, and once again I will be begging for some ac.

No comments:

Post a Comment