Monday, April 26, 2010

Class open to the pubic

As I have said before, I am of the opinion that technology makes life more complicated rather than simpler. And here I have a concrete example. I am in class this semester that is basically run on the internet. We have class meetings, but the outline for the class is online, the class notes are posted online after the class, and all of the assignments are done online. I didn't think that this would be a problem for me, but it has been. I was barely getting used to using Blackboard, a site that professors post readings on so that you can print them out, and then I have to learn how to use Serendip. Now I am in no way saying that I don't find Serendip useful for some things...I have another class that uses it, but only as a class website that has assignments, the syllabus, and extra, interesting articles and websites on it...but when the whole class is conducted on the site (as in turning in your papers online and then getting your comments online) it gets complicated and a little uncomfortable. First off, this is not an easy site to use, it has all these little tricks and shortcuts, and even though I have been using it all semester I only know one way to post things and it is defiantly the round about way. But I don't really like having all my assignments online for the world to see. My papers, my responses, my class notes are all there for the world to see. As may have been noticed by the lack of personal information I share on my blog, I don't like being out there. I am a very closed person and like to keep many things personal. I don't want everyone knowing what my professor thought my paper lacked. How does world humiliation help me learn?
Trying to understand why my professor runs her class this way I thought maybe she was trying to be green. But she isn't, for our final she wants us to print everything we have written online and hand in a paper copy. What was the point?I don't understand her motivation.

No comments:

Post a Comment