Sunday, February 7, 2010

Myself - at school

Writing this blog has forced me to become a narrator in a semi-autobiographical way. It is true that I am writing solely about myself, but through my writing, the reader is able to glimpse pieces of myself, or at least one of my selves. To say that there is a coherent self would be false, for I believe that there are many selfs within our one being. In this blog, I am not showing the reader a coherent life story, or even a partial autobiography. My self is only visible through the hints in the writing.

And which self would that be?

I am surely not sharing my private self, but a public self, one that I am comfortable sharing the world at large. I share personal opinions, yes, but ones that I know to be safe to share, ones that I don't mind other's knowing I believe in. And I certainty am not sharing a self in a set time. I may write posts at specific times in my history, but they are not attached to previous events or emotions in my life.

No one can know me completely by reading what I write.

I do, however, let slip a calculated self that is evident through my voice and topics. If one were to know me previous to the publications of this blog, it may seem as though I am sharing myself with the world. But I am not comfortable sharing my whole self with anyone, for when I do, it is no longer MYself, but a shared self.

No comments:

Post a Comment