Friday, February 19, 2010

What Makes Us Special

One of the biggest parts of going to an all girls school is the traditions, at least at BM. I never thought that I would find myself in a situation where pagan gods are worshiped and given offerings, May pole dances are celebrated, and freshmen are 'rushed'. No, I am not in a sorority, most all girls schools do not have them, but these things all take place.

Athena, BM's god, is given offerings to help students in both their academic life and their personal lives. While we no longer offer up human sacrifices, or even animal sacrifices, it is tradition for Athena to receive flowers, poems, balloons, and stuffed animals (the toys, not real ones). In return, Athena will watch over you and help you in your endeavors. Athena is such a part of BM that she has her own chant, or rather the students chant to her at any appropriate time (you will find there are no inappropriate times). We thank her for her help and hail her. No, I am not in cult.

One of our biggest. and most loved tradition is what we call Hell Week. While I can not share the secrets of Hell Week, as I swore I would never as a freshmen, I will say that it resembles a sorority rush. Though freshmen have the opportunity to participate or not, this is the biggest bonding week of your entire 4 years here; it is your welcoming into the college.

If any outsider were to show up during one of these traditions, I imagine their eyes would bulge, and their mouths would gape (mine did the first time). But what they would be witnessing is the wonderful community found here. I cannot speak for every all women's colleges, but here we love traditions. It is like we are one large sorority with our latin chants and crazy traditions, but unlike some sororities, everyone is welcomed.

3 comments:

  1. love this post:) and haha to "we no longer offer up human sacrifices" - totally wouldn't be surprised if BMC at one point ever did. same to the stuffed animals...

    ReplyDelete
  2. love it. BMC is totally a cult though. Come on, just think back to lantern night...

    ReplyDelete
  3. As someone who went through rush and then later "rushed" others, I sense another distinction. Not only are all welcome for you, but the purpose is to build esteem, relationships,trust, and sense of community. In my sorority experience, the intent was to glean through competition those who might best serve or suit your group's agenda. I was fortunate to have an adviser who would not forfeit a young woman's self respect to build up another's, but there were many considered ruthless in their methods to strip the candidates of confidence (sometimes purely for laughs or to see if they could.) I applaud you in making college a joyfully inclusive time.

    ReplyDelete