Thursday, February 11, 2010

Magical Days

As a Californian snow is a pretty new concept to me. These past couple of days have been filled with stormy weather and snow days. These are pretty new ideas for me, and I expected to be one of the few people on campus with so little experience. It is true that there are many students here from CA and other places that don't get much snow, but I excepted to be the most naive, having only gone snowboarding once and never had tried to downhill ski. It may be that this is simply how I think, always expecting to be the least prepared, but none the less this week has been enlightening.

Apparently, I am not the only one with little snow experience on this campus. In fact, the fact that I had tried snowboarding set me up a rung from those who had never tried. I thought this amazing, as it felt like everyone from home had gone skiing and snowboarding as I kid and I just expected those from parts of the country with snow to have had even more opportunities. What I found was that while the opportunities were indeed plentiful, they were not always taken advantage of. It seems, the more you live in and deal with snow on a daily basis, the more annoying it becomes. I was surprised by the number of girls who had lived in snow their whole lives, but who hated it so much that they don't even want to play with it.

I suppose I'm lucky. Every time we expect snow, my infatuation starts all over again. I get so excited waiting for it to start, and love nothing more than to sit in my window and watch the flakes come down. And once it's on the ground, l can hardly wait to go outside and frolic in it. My guess is that snow will always be as magical to me as it is now, but I worry. I see girls who've lived in snow groan about the forecast and then stay locked in doors on snow days. I can't imagine! Having never had a snow day before, I can't wait to get outside and get the most of it. Maybe it's that I'm immature. Maybe it will soon start to get old. Maybe one day I too will wish for the snow to melt. But right now, I do not know that girl I may become. Every storm is a new adventure waiting for me. And let me just say, I'm waiting for it.

1 comment:

  1. I don't think you need to worry about snow losing its wonder. As someone who has seen more than twice your winters, I can vouch for the persistance of that anticipation and excitement about its fresh fall. It is a miracle each time. Besides that, there are so many nearly gravity defying activities that are possible in freezing weather that are not on warm days, that I can't image you becoming jaded about it. So, did you break out the bubbles yet?

    ReplyDelete