Sunday, March 21, 2010

Spring has sprung

As today is the first day of spring, I thought this topic appropriate. It is something that struck me the very first time I came to campus and I still find it a little funny (although I must say I now understand the desire). What am I talking about? The mass of students that on the first sunny day after winter don their bathing suits and sun bathe. It happens every year. From the first day the sun is shinning and it is above 55 degrees, girls flock to the greens to get some sun. I now, after a very long and snowy winter, understand the desire to soak up the sun and relish in the delight of it, but at 60 degrees? I still need a sweater at 60 degrees...especially if there is a breeze. It is not warm enough to wear just a bikini. I mean 60 degrees is winter weather for CA (granted a nice winter day, but winter all the same). How can they stand it? I would be shivering. In fact I was, sitting in the sun wearing jeans and a tee-shirt. I see nothing wrong in soaking the sun up, and possibly breaking out the long missed flip-flops, but do so in moderation. I expect to see bathing suits in 90 degree weather, not barely 60 degrees.

Now, I understand that I come from one of the nicest places to live weather wise, CA, and that I am spoiled. But does this race to the sun happen at all colleges? Could it possibly be a BM thing, or an all women's thing? Or do college students everywhere (except good old CA) sun bathe in 60 degree weather? I will never truly be from the east coast.

No comments:

Post a Comment